Paintings, drawings and etchings
The Jakob Smits Museums collection consists mainly of paintings, drawings and etchings by Jakob Smits and the artists from the Molse School. A few years after Smits' death in 1928, Ernest Van den Bosch had already expressed the desire for a Jakob Smits Museum. However, it would take several decades before the first steps towards a museum were taken.
In the early 1970s, the municipality of Mol took the helm to build a Smits collection. Under the influence of the then chairman of the cultural council, Albert Glazemaekers and councillor of culture Jo Valgaeren, an 'advisory committee on works of art' was set up. In October 1972, the municipality purchased four drawings of Jakob Smits, including De veroordeling van de stroper and Blijde thuiskomst. In 1973 the first painting Hoeve te Achterbos and three etchings were purchased.
Thanks to donations, the collection grew rapidly over the following years. On 19 February 1977 the museum officially opened its doors to the public.
The museum's collection currently contains 45 paintings by Jakob Smits and around one hundred drawings. A large part is owned by the museum and some of them are on long-term loan. The museum possesses the entire etching work of Jakob Smits.
Besides this, the museum also stores many works of artists who belonged to the Molse School or artists who were imitators of Smits.
For more information about the collection or to request a loan, please contact the museum.